What is Neurology?
In this video Dr. Strauss talks about what Neurology is, the most common symptoms of neurological problems, how we address those problems, and what to expect when visiting with one of our caring physicians!
Neurology is a branch of medicine which takes care of problems in the Nervous System. The nervous system consists of the brain, the spinal chord, and the nerves that are in your arms, legs, and the rest of your body. Depending on which nerves are affected, you may experience different kinds of problems.
- For example, you might experience:
- Headaches, dizziness, or difficulty with your memory and thinking
- Difficulty with your speech or with swallowing
- Numbness, tingling, pain, or weakness in your arms or legs
- Difficulty with your balance, or walking
- Tremors, shaking, or other involuntary movements
When you first enter the neurologists office, we’ll ask you to explain your concerns, and describe the kinds of symptoms you’ve been experiencing. We’ll then conduct an examination and we might recommend additional tests in order to get more information.
- For example, we might recommend:
- M.R.I. pictures
- Nerve tests of the arms and legs
- Blood tests
We’ll put all the information together and then talk to you about the diagnosis. We’ll then recommend a treatment plan.
- The treatment plan often consists of medication but it can also consist of:
- Physical therapy
- Change in diet
- Change in sleeping patterns
- Vitamin supplements
If you have any questions about what Neurology is, what neurologists do, and how we might be able to help you with your neurological problems, please Contact Our Office, sign up for a Consultation or leave a comment below!